I am JaszyRay

My photo
Since you're here, just start reading. Who knows you might find me interesting.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MALAYSIAN SLANGS

Question : hi jasmin, i'm doing a coursework given by my lecturer about diff malaysian slangs. what are the meaning of these words "lopek", "doh", "liao" and how to use them. if you wouldn't mind, give me more slangs, thank you. p/s: you're pretty

Whoa... Isn't it weird to make your coursework through formspring? Might as well meet me in person right?? Well theres nothing much I can say about Malaysian slangs because its too normal and we use it everyday. I say aiya all the time.. I think.... Slangs are just slangs. Im not sure if their meanings to some of them.. It just somehow completes our sentence. Malaysia kan? Sorry if Im not much of a help.

This is one of the best formspring question that I have so far for this month.


So my answer is sorta not relevant.
Sorry to the person who ask me this question but I sure hope he/she will do a good job on the assignment! 
After reading this question again and I think this is gonna be interesting to write about.
I remembered theres this guy who shout out loud to his friend "EH DEI~!!'' 
So I was like, what is dei?? Oh, should've known its just another ordinary slang. N so the next day, I called my friend dei. Hahaaa. 


As you know, us Malaysians. Were really special don't you think? 
Its true, were different from the others and our ENGLISH are pretty outstanding.. 
In a way I'm sure you know what I meant about "outstanding" because at the very end of our sentence (mostly) there is always a lah. It may be called a term and also in Chinese I guess that's where LAH is came from. Malaysia is a multi racial country and we always mix a lot of multi race stuff all together.


Its like the backbone of our English. Hahahaa. Its so common that even we don't care about it. 
Because thats how we speak! I wouldn't say originality but slangs happen to be a part of us and we use it a lot.
Like AIYA, that is when we say OH NO or OH MAN this is not good.



It is preferably called Manglish and the reason why we start using slangs are because we Malaysians have various types of language, BM, Mandarin, Cantonese, Tamil etc. We bottle a lot of things up.

It is because of the other language, our English is pretty much been mix by it and so thats why its called Manglish. 
But basically it is also called rojak. Rojak is in BM by the way. (Bahasa Melayu).


But at least our pronunciation is not that bad either. 
To me, I think that theres no explanation or why must we use the slang so much.
Because it is what we use and we love using it. Its something common and normal too.


Just like the quote, Were different because were special :)


-Jasmin Rayhan-

No comments: